Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Sharing Gratitude and Love


My daughter, Kristin, and I during some pre-show silliness


In my last blog I talked about my post- ATS® Homecoming blues.  I want to share some other things I did to help me pull out of my slump.  As I said in the previous blog, these are all based on Positive Psychology research on happiness.

Happy people communicate gratitude to their friends and love to family in ways that strengthen those bonds.  If you want to be happier, the most important thing you can do (with immediate impact and minimal effort) is to

               express positive emotions to others.


So one night I opened my computer, logged onto Facebook and started messaging.  I found everyone I could find who had been at Homecoming who I could remember interacting with and I sent them a message.  Sometimes I said a lot, sometimes I just said that I was happy to meet them and hoped that our paths would cross again soon.  My messages, although brief, were sincere.  Writing them made me happy.  I believe receiving them made other people happy (based on the responses I got).  Their responses made me happy again!

Diana, Maria and me


For more on this strategy watch this video called The Science of Happiness: The Gratitude Project.  Get your tissues out and be ready for the tears. 




Another strategy I tried that is based on happiness research but seems obvious was:

                    find humor in everyday life.

I love The Daily Show and John Stewart so I started watching clips throughout the day when I would take stretch breaks at work.  When something stressful happened I would try to think of how it would later be a funny story.  For example, after I fell 4 times in the snow, the doctor who looked at my sprained wrist kept saying over and over again "Lisa, you fell down 4 times in the last 12 hours."  I mean, he must have said it 6 times.  I started to get irritated then I realized what a funny story it was going to make.  My boyfriend is a VERY funny guy so I try to challenge myself to come up with tales that will make him laugh as much as he makes me laugh. 

My boyfriend, Hasan, pulled up to dance


Some other things I did and continue doing that help me be happy are:

-practice random acts of kindness (clichéd but it really works)

-look for awe inspiring experiences (waterfalls, sunsets, snowfall- I tend to experience "awe" in nature)

-smile

-eat better, get good sleep

-and exercise (I attended dance and yoga classes, threw myself into troupe rehearsals, ramped up my daily practice, etc.)

I hope these suggestions give you some good ideas about practicing happiness.   I'd love to hear what works for you!

xoxoxoxo,

Lisa

Compartiendo Amor y Gratitud
En mi último blog hablaba de mi semi depresión luego de regresar del “ATS® Homecoming”.  Quiero compartir otras cosas que hice que me ayudaron a salir de ese bajo estado de ánimo.  Como les mencionara anteriormente todo esto está basado en investigaciones en Psicología positiva acerca de la felicidad.
Las personas felices comunican gratitud y amor a familiares y amigos en formas que ayudan a fortalecer estos lazos.  Si quieres ser más feliz lo más importante que puede hacer es expresar emociones positivas hacia otros.  Esto tendrá un efecto inmediato con el mínimo esfuerzo.
Así que una noche decidí ir a mi computadora, ingresar a Facebook y comenzar a enviar mensajes.  Busque a la mayoría de las personas que estuvieron en “Homecoming” y con las cuales me acordaba haber tenido algún tipo de interacción y les envié mensajes.   A veces era un mensaje extenso otras solo que estaba feliz de haberlas conocido y que esperaba nuestro caminos se encontraran nuevamente en en futuro cercano.  A pesar de la brevedad de mis mensajes, estos eran sinceros.  El escribirlos me hacía sentir feliz.   A base de las respuestas que obtuve a todos les alegro el haberlos recibido y eso me hacía feliz nuevamente.

Para más información acerca de esta estrategia.  Les recomiendo vean el video La ciencia de la felicidad, (The Science of Happiness)  y el Proyecto Gratitud (The Gratitud Project)  Tengan sus pañuelos a la mano y prepárense para llorar.
Otra de las estrategias que trate que también están basadas en la felicidad, aunque suena un poco obvia fue, encuentra humor en la vida cotidiana. (Find humor in everyday life)

Me encanta “The Daily Show and John Stewart” así que comencé a ver los videoclips durante el día cuando lograba tomarme una pausa en el trabajo. Cuando algo estresante sucedía trataba de visualizar como esto más adelante podía ser una anécdota cómica.  Un ejemplo de esto fue luego de haberme caído 4 veces en la nieve, el medico quien examinaba mi muñeca lastimada, se pasaba repitiendo una y otra vez, “Liza te has caído 4 veces en las últimas 12 horas”  En serio, creo que si lo dijo como 6 veces fue poco.   Comencé a sentirme irritada por el comentario, entonces me di cuenta que esto tenía un potencial de ser una historia muy graciosa.    Mi novio es una persona muy graciosa así que trate de ponerme como meta como podía convertir esta experiencia en una graciosa y hacerlo reír tanto como el me hace reír a mí.  
Otras cosas que hice que me ayudaron a recobrar la felicidad y que continuo practicando son
- practicar actos de bondad al azar
-  fijarme en experiencias cotidianas como por ejemplo (atardeceres, cascadas, ver la nieve caer) este tiempo de experiencia me llena.
- sonreír
- comer saludable, obtener una Buena noche de Descanso.
- ejercitarme. (Asisto a clases de yoga, baile, ensayos y aumento mi dosis diaria de ejercicios)
Espero estas sugerencias les den una idea de cómo practicar felicidad,  Me encantaría escuchar que es lo que funciona para ustedes
Xoxo
Lisa!



2 comments: