Friday, February 13, 2015

Happiness, life, and bellydance

Bellydance makes us happy.  That is one of the main reasons we do it.  In January I was privileged
to participate in the first ATS® Homecoming.  I was so happy while I was there.



Dayanisma before performance


But when I got home I was so unhappy.  Bleh- major post-event slump.  Probably more than a slump, I was on the slippery slope and sliding into downright depression.




So I decided to apply some of my professional knowledge to my personal life.  At work this fall I reviewed all of the current literature on happiness.  There is an entire field of study called Positive Psychology.  These researchers tell us what makes people happy and how you can increase your own happiness.

Turns out, 50% of any person's happiness is temperament, or the way you are born/wired/set up. Only 19% is attributed to your circumstances.  And a whopping 40% is controlled by INTENTIONAL ACTIVITY.

So I decided it was time to get intentional about improving my mood and getting back in my groove!

photo credit Sean Vallely

The first thing I decided to do was to keep a Gratitude Journal.  Every night I wrote down 3 things I was grateful for each day.  I suggested my daughter do the same thing and she had a different take than me, she drew her gratitude.

shared with permission from Kristin Draper

Reminding myself of everything I am grateful for really improved my mood.  I hope this suggestion was helpful.  In my next blog I will make some more suggestions, including what I did that helped the most!

Until then, please share any suggestions you have on increasing happiness, especially in the wake of a big event.


xoxoxoxo,

Lisa

Terri here:  If you feel sad about missing friends from ATS® Homecoming last year, or missing the event altogether.. you can register for ATS® Homecoming: Phone Home in Jan 2016 now!

Felicidad, la vida y la danza
La danza nos hace felices.  Esta es una de las razones principales por la cual lo hacemos. En enero tuve el privilegio de participar en el primer “ATS® Homecoming” Estaba muy feliz, mientras estuve allí.
 
Pero cuando llegué a casa estaba infeliz.  En una gran baja luego del evento.  Probablemente más que una baja, estaba al borde de una verdadera depresión.

Así que decidí aplicar a mi vida personal algunos de mis conocimientos profesionales.  El pasado otoño en mi trabajo había revisado toda la literatura corriente relacionada a la felicidad.  Existe un campo de estudio llamado Psicología Positiva dedicado exclusivamente al estudio de la felicidad.  Los investigadores nos dicen qué es lo que hace feliz a las personas y cómo podemos aumentar nuestra propia felicidad.
Resulta que 50% de la felicidad de cualquier persona está relacionada al temperamento o la forma en que nace o está configurada.  Solo el 19% se le atribuye a las circunstancias.  Y un 40% es controlado por la ACTIVIDAD INTENCIONAL o nuestra intención.

 Así que decidí era hora de poner mi intención en mejorar mi estado de ánimo y regresar a mi estado de felicidad.


Lo primero que decidí fue mantener un Diario de Gratitud.  Todas las noches escribí tres cosas por las cuales estaba agradecida ese día.  Le sugerí a mi hija que hiciera lo mismo.  Su visión fue diferente a la mía.  Ella decidió dibujar su gratitud.

Recordarme de todo por lo cual estoy agradecida ha mejorado mucho mi estado de ánimo.  Espero estas sugerencias les haya sido de utilidad.  ¡En mi próximo blog les haré más sugerencias incluyendo que fue lo que hice que me ayudo grandemente!
Hasta entonces, por favor siéntanse en la libertad de compartir cualquier sugerencia que tengan en cuanto a cómo aumentar la felicidad, especialmente al regreso de un evento.



xoxoxoxo,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment